Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Environment

Amidst the loud screams and fighting, there sat a girl on the bed wondering how to get out of this circle of animosity. An escape was all she needed. Wings to just fly away to another world where everything was going to be ok. Books gave her wings. She could be in whatever land she wanted to be in with just the turn of the page. Her problems melted away into the background as she soared to new places. Places that anyone would love to go. She could be a princess happily with her prince. Or she could be an almighty ruler that never had to listen to anyone else.

That little girl was me. Sharon Ashley Russell and I am not a product of my environment. However, I did learn that books were an amazing part of life, if only more people would take the time to really get into them the way I did. I spent my days as a child outside with my friends until the night came, then I curled up with a good book to end those long days. Maybe my family life wasn’t perfect, but if I got lost in a book, none of those problems mattered anymore. "I don't want to be a product of my environment; I want my environment to be a product of me."

No comments:

Post a Comment